Sunday, September 7, 2008

End of summer. Beginning of school.

So it's been over a month since I last blogged anything meaningful and I think it's time I get back into the swing of blogging and other things that I'll go over later. It was a rough summer with all the family issues, but it has definitely gotten a lot better. There is no such as normal still and there are a lot of ups and downs, but things are slowly getting easier to deal with.

I went on a trip out west by myself, driving straight out to Edmonton in 13 hours and staying there for a few days with my aunt, uncle, and cousins who I haven't seen in years. After that I drove the 3 hours to Calgary and caught up with a lot of old friends. They've all changed, most for the better, but a couple for the worse and it's sad to see those who have kind of strayed but I guess that's life and it just gives me more motivation to keep myself focused. Finished off the trip in Regina with my sister Amanda for a night. We got some time to get to know each other and talk about what may happen in the future for our family. That's the basics of the trip and like every time I go on a trip by myself, I come back with a renewed perspective on life and what I want from it. I wasn't excited to come home because Calgary is just such a great place to be and potentially live in the near future, but I do feel that I have lot more motivation now, which I was lacking the last fews months while dealing with the family matters.

Anyways, the first thing I want to do is get back into poker. I've been playing randomly throughout the summer but nothing to where I could get back into a habit but I KNOW I'm ready to go now. It just comes down to taking the first step and playing some hands. Tomorrow is September 8th and I want to get in at least 10k hands the rest of the month and with all the time I have now that school is back on, that shouldn't be too hard. The biggest thing is to get my buddy to sweat on quite a few sessions so I can really start feeling comfortable at 25NL. I have the basics down but I just need the confidence and the ability to know that I may have made the right play long-term, but it didn't pan out for me this one play. I look at the BR way too much and I focus too much on the short-term too much.

Secondly, I want to learn how to play acoustic guitar. I've always wanted to play the guitar but I just haven't had the motivation to get on it...taking the first step always seems the hardest for me. I already have a really nice Fender guitar in the house, it's just a matter of taking weekly lessons so my goal is to get that going by the end of the month.

Lastly, my working out has been going pretty well considering that I was out of town for 11 out of the past 16 days and now it's time to move to the next section of my workout schedule. Instead of doing 3x12 for each exercise and having a break in between each one. I'll be doing 4x8 with heavier weights and a break only after every second set. Keeps my body guessing and thus allowing to gain muscle a lot faster.

In summary:
1) Play AT LEAST 10k hands this month

2) Start taking guitar lessons this month

3) Continue with working out while not missing any sessions this whole term.

1 comment:

robmaceachern said...

10k, guitar, and working out with new venture? You are a machine.